So, now that I have a whole bottle of vodka, what do I do with it? I don't drink vodka, so I researched a bit and found a great recipe by Rachael Ray. I have made this in the past and it is delicious. I think I will have to add it back into my arsenal of "oldies, but goodies".
"You Won't Be Single for Long" Vodka Cream Pasta
Recipe Courtesy of Rachael Ray
From: The Best Burger in America Discovered
- 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, once around the pan in a slow stream
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 cup vodka
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (32 ounces)
- Coarse salt and pepper
- 16 ounces pasta, such as penne rigate
- 1/2 Cup heavy cream
- 20 leaves fresh basil, shredded or torn
- Heat a large skillet over moderate heat.
- Add oil, butter, garlic, and shallots
- Gently saute shallots for to 5 minutes to develop their sweetness.
- Add vodka to the pan (3 turns around the pan in a steady stream will equal about 1 cup)
- Reduce vodka by half, this will take 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add chicken stock and tomatoes.
- Bring sauce to a bubble and reduce heat to simmer.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- While sauce simmers, cook pasta in salted boiling water until cooked al dente. While pasta cooks, prepare salad or other side dishes.
- Stir cream into sauce. When sauce returns to a bubble, remove it from heat. Drain pasta. Toss hot pasta with sauce and basil leaves.