Here is our pile of old crayons. I picked through and kept the good ones and used the rest for this activity.
Age: 18-40 months
- Old crayons and crayon pieces
- muffin tin
- paper muffin or cupcake liners
- Discards black, brown and grey crayons
- Remove paper from all the crayons
- break remaining crayons into small pieces no more than 1/2 inch long.
- Distribute crayon pieces into muffin tins lined with liners.
- Bake at 300 degrees about 15-20 minutes until all the crayons have melted together.
- When cool, remove the new cupcake crayons from the tins - they will be ready to use!
I was a little nervous when they first came out of the oven!
I think this is a great way to recycle old crayons! If you have enough like we did, you might just want to melt all the reds together, all the blues together, etc and create a single colored crayon. Either way, it is fun!